(Images courtesy The Papare)


After doubting if the match can be played at all due to a severe rain storm that lashed Kandy mid afternoon yesterday, the Peterites survived a storm by the Anthonians but prevailed to post a 21 points (3 goals) to 11 (1 try, 2 penalties) win at Nittawela yesterday.


The match did not start till just before before 5.00 p.m. instead of 4.30 p.m. as authorities had to make sure that ground conditions were right for the match to be played.


The Anthonians opened the scoring early in the game through a penalty when after a failed drop kick by an Anthonian, a Peterite defender was penalised for not releasing the ball.


The Peterites then went on the attack but came up short against a stout Anthonian defence. However in the 20th minute, lock forward Delpechitra crashed through to touch down. Sivaraj Stephen converted to make it 7-3.


Undeterred the Antonians too attacked and off one such attacking move, scored but the conversion attempt failed and scoreboard read 8-7 in favour of the Eagles. A short time later the Antonians scored again through a penalty and the Anthonians took back the lead, 11-7 which was the scoreline at half time.


Sandesh Jayawickrema and Stephen missed a penalty each at the start of the second half but the Petes kept attacking and did their best to create moves though most of them went unrewarded. However one such moves did bring results when scrum half Avishka Heenpella was able to score a try which the skipper converted to wrest the lead back for the Peterites, making it 14-11.


Late in the second half the alert Peterite scrum half sent out the fly half who sold a neat dummy to score. Skipper Jayawickrema obliged and the Peterites had a 21-11 lead.


In the dying moments, the Peterite wing three quarter got the ball in his own 22 and did a superb seventy five metre run only to be denied a try by a desperate Anthonian defender so the scoreboard remained 21-11 in favour of the Peterites when the referee Aruna Rankothge blew no time.


Thus the Petes retained the Rectors’ trophy for another year